Privacy and Personal Information Protection at Council

The collection, use, storage and disclosure of personal information is governed by the the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIPA). The collection of personal information from Councillors, employees, volunteers, contractors, ratepayers and member of the public is required in order for Council to perform its statutory functions and to allow the effective provision of services.

"Personal information" is defined in the PPIPA as follows: “Personal information means information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database and whether or not recorded in a material form) about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.” The person does not have to be clearly identified by the information. It is only necessary that identity "can reasonably be ascertained from the information."

The Act also outlines information that does not constitute Personal Information as follows:
  • information contained in a publicly available publication 
  • information about an individual's suitability for public sector employment 
  • information about a person who has been dead for more than 30 years 
The PPIPA offers enforceable privacy rights to the people of NSW and gives them the opportunity to:
  • amend personal information about themselves kept by Council 
  • make a complaint if they feel that there has been misuse of their personal information by Council 
  • make application for an internal review and/or 
  • make a complaint to the Administrative Decisions Tribunal if they are not satisfied with Council's course of action. 
Further information regarding PPIPA can be found on the Information and Privacy Commission Website.

Council has policies in place to ensure that staff are aware of privacy issues and ensures that personal information of individuals is handled in accordance with legislation. 

Council is required to hold personal information pertaining to Councillors, including personal contact information, pecuniary interest returns, entitlements to fees, expenses and facilities and information regarding complaints and disciplinary matters.  

Council also requires personal information concerning its customers, ratepayers and residents, including names and addresses, rates records, development applications and objections, Library lending details, Burial and cremation records, and the bank account details of payees.  

Personal information held by Council concerning its employees includes contact details, bank account details, wage and salary entitlements including leave and payroll data, pecuniary interest returns, performance management plans and details on disciplinary matters.
If you require any further information you can visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner website.

Access to Council Records

Freedom of Information Act 1989 has been replaced by the Government Information (Public Access) Act (GIPAA).  GIPAA aims to ensure information is more available to all sectors of the community through open access information and promotes open and transparent government. 

The NSW Office of the Information Commissioner (OIC) is an independent body established to promote public awareness and understanding, and provide advice, assistance and training to government agencies and the public.  To assist the public and non-government organisations, the OIC has developed a range of tools and resources including frequently asked questions which can be found online at the OIC website.

You are also welcome to contact the OIC directly:

  • Free call number 1800 INFOCOM (1800 463 626)

The GIPA Act is complemented by the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIPA), which establishes a right to amend personal information in records held by Councils and other government agencies - new Part 6A.

How do I access my personal information which is held by Council?

If you are looking for access to your personal information kept in Council's records you must apply in writing to Council.

If you are looking for personal information of other members of the public or government information that is not open access information, please complete a Information Request form located on the Application Forms page.

How do I access general Council information?

If you are looking for information about how the Berrigan Shire Council operates, a good starting point is the Agency Information Guide which can be found on the Management Plans, Codes & Reports page.

Many documents are available to the public free of charge in the Documents and / or Application Forms section of our website.  If you wish to view requests which have been made to Council, and the information which was provided in response to such requests,via Council's Disclosure Log which is located on Management Plans, Codes & Reports page.

Another source of information is Council's Register of Contracts, which can also be found listed on the Management Plans, Codes & Reports page,  this contains information about government contracts which have a value of $150,000 or more.

You can also view
Council Policies which are used by Council in connection with the exercise of those functions that affect rights, privileges, obligations, penalties or other detriments, to which members of the public are entitled, eligible, liable.
If the information that you seek is not published on the website, the Council is generally quite willing to provide most information in response to an informal request, alternatively if you are seeking information from Council, which is personal information of other members of the public, you can make a formal Information Request application to access the information.  This must be made on the Information Request form located on the Application Forms page, or alternately can be submitted in writing but must:

  • clearly indicate it is an access application made under the GIPA Act
  • state your postal address in Australia
  • be accompanied by the $30 fee
  • provide sufficient detail to enable the Information Access Officer to identify the requested information.

You can submit your application in the following forms:

By post, addressed to:

Director Corporate Services
Berrigan Shire Council
56 Chanter Street

In person at the Council chambers at 56 Chanter Street Berrigan, Opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 5pm

A formal Information Request application is subject to an application fee of $30 which covers the making of the application, together with the first hour of processing time. Council may impose a further processing charge for dealing with an access application at the rate of $30 per hour for each hour of processing time for the application in excess of two hours.

The application fee can be paid by cash, cheque or credit card - at the Customer Service Counter, or by posting a cheque or money order. Please do not send cash by post.

Council's Information Officer must decide an access application and give you a notice of the decision within 20 working days after receiving your application. The decision period can be extended by up to 10 -15 working days if consultation with third party is required or/and records are required to be retrieved from the archive, but you will be notified if this is required.

What if I am not satisfied with the answer I receive?

If you are not satisfied with the decision about your application, you have a right to ask for a review. For instance, you may have been refused access to the whole or part of a document, or perhaps you are concerned that your personal or business information will be disclosed to someone else. You have the options of applying for an internal review or external review.

The internal review request must be lodged with Council within 20 working days of receiving the decision, must be in writing, and accompanied by a $40 fee. Lodgement must be via post or in person, as for a formal access application, above.

A person more senior to the original decision-maker will review your application and inform you of the review decision within 15 working days, including reasons as to why the original decision is affirmed, modified or overturned. If further consultation is required, the review period may be extended by up to 10 working days.

You can also request an external review by sending a review application to the Information Commissioner or Administrative Decisions Tribunal.

Contact details:
Office for the Information Commissioner
GPO Box 7011, Sydney NSW 2001
Ph: (02) 1800 463 626

Administrative Decisions Tribunal
Level 15, 111 Elizabeth Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Ph:   (02) 92 234 677
Fax: (02) 92 333 283


Contacting Council

Office: 56 Chanter Street, Berrigan.
Office hours are 8.00 am to 5.00 pm
Monday to Friday.
(03) 5888 5100
(03) 5885 2092
Post: Berrigan Shire Council
56 Chanter Street
Login | |