Current Articles | Search | Syndication

The early days of Chanter St Berrigan, where the Council Chambers now sit.

28/05/2016

This block, bounded by Cobram, Budd, Mitchell and Chanter Streets, has a very interesting history and could be described as the hub of the early days in the village of Berrigan....

The north /south lane between Chanter and Budd Streets, was the western boundary of the Riddle and Pretty store (later McLeod's) built in 1894, with the shop front on Chanter Street, and a large shed at the rear. The shop was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1896, when it was taken over by Robert Gardiner 1896-1907. A small cottage fronted Cobram Street, later Ernie Gedye bought the building.

In all eight shops facing Chanter Street were destroyed by fire on the night of 10th January 1894.

The Commercial Bank first opened on the western portion of the Riddle and Pretty Store, in 1892. H R Lysaght was manager, 1891-1895, then J W Nicholas, 1895-1902, when the bank moved across the street. Nicholas was manager for almost fifty years.

There was a well for water on the vacant corner block, where in, 1958 the Commercial Bank was built.

In the early 1900s the town crier, Jack McGuigan, would walk up and down the street, ringing a bell and then proclaiming "a closer settlement meeting was on or a circus coming to town".

West of the Riddle and Pretty's store, (later McLeods) in 1902, was a small shop owned by Phaff a watchmaker, who died in 1933. Mrs Flecknot had a little dress shop and Jimmy Lee had a bicycle repair shop, prior to demolition in 1999 the building was owned by Robert Congdon. Next were two shops, one was a green grocer run by Bert and Vera Merryfull and a barber shop where Frank Bush was the apprentice in 1927 to Col Donnelly. Frank later moved to the north side of Chanter Street.

Three dentists Drs Alan Sheldon, Campling and Gary Burns had rooms here in the early days. Next was the garage, first owner was Bill Black Motors, followed by Lloyd Bros, Baxter, Jim Curtin and Young, Hany Baxter (agent), then in the 1930s Dick Daly and Gordon Allen's garage, (a caterpillar agent), Gordon Anderson, Tom Good's Garage. 1950's saw Good and Burley motors, Bruce Burley, later Harry Grant and then Frank Rennick. H P Whitty later Trask and Whitty Solicitors and Merv Barnett dry cleaning business were next to the Federal Hotel.
In 1961 both buildings, the dry cleaner and by then the CWA rooms since 1946, were destroyed by fire.

The Sale yards sited along the western comer of Chanter Street, extended along Mitchell and Budd Streets. In the l950's five commission houses were built along the Budd Street area by Mick O'Malley. Later the motel was built backing Mitchell Street.

Rating

Contacting Council

Office: 56 Chanter Street, Berrigan.
Office hours are 8.00 am to 5.00 pm
Monday to Friday.
Phone:
Fax:
Email:
(03) 5888 5100
(03) 5885 2092
Post: Berrigan Shire Council
56 Chanter Street
BERRIGAN NSW 2712
Login | |