Thursday, October 28, 2021
Planning & Environment

Swimming Pools & Spas

Here you can find information regarding swimming pools and spas such as development consent, registration of your pool and the swimming pool register.

Development Consent for Swimming Pools & Spas

Construction, installation or alteration to swimming pools and spas that are capable of holding water more than 300mm deep and 2000 litres, may require approval.

Swimming pools may be approved as Complying Development if the proposal meets the relevant development standards set out in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

If your swimming pool doesn’t qualify for Complying Development you will need to lodge a Development Application.


Swimming Pool Inspection Program

In respect to changes that were made to swimming pool legislation, Council has introduced a ‘Swimming Pool Inspection Program’ to implement Council’s obligations under the Swimming Pools Act 1992 and Regulation that increases pool safety and awareness and reduces infant drowning and near drowning events within the Berrigan Shire Local Government Area.


Selling or Leasing Properties with a Swimming Pool or Spa


The NSW Government has put in place regulatory changes relating to the sale of properties with swimming pools that require a Certificate of Compliance, a Certificate of Non-compliance or an Occupation Certificate to be included with the contract of sale documentation.


The NSW Government has also put in place legislative changes relating to the lease of properties with swimming pools.

Landlords are to ensure that tenants are provided with a copy of a 'Certificate of Compliance' at the time a lease is entered into.  It is the landlord’s responsibility to provide a safe environment for their tenants.

To apply for a Swimming Pool Compliance Certificate click on the following link. You are required to provide a Swimming Pool Registration Certificate as part of your application to confirm registration. A link to the NSW Swimming Pool Register is also available below.

Register your Swimming Pool or Spa

Under the Swimming Pools Act 2012 all pool owners are required to register their pool and spa on the NSW Swimming Pool Register.

You can register your swimming pool or spa by using the following link


Swimming Pool Compliance Certificate

If you are the owner of a property containing a swimming pool you can apply to Council for a certificate of compliance. A certificate of compliance certifies that the swimming pool complies with the relevant legislative and safety requirements. The Certificate will be valid for 3 years, as long as the fencing remains compliant in that time.

In order to apply for a Certificate of Compliance for a Swimming Pool, you must be the owner of the property and the pool must be registered on the NSW Swimming Pool Register.

To apply for a Certificate of Compliance refer to the link below


Contact Us

(03) 5888 5100
(03) 5885 2092
56 Chanter Street, Berrigan, NSW, 2712

Hours of Operation

The Berrigan Shire Council is open:

8am to 5pm Monday to Friday

The Bendigo Bank – Berrigan Agency is open:


1:30pm to 3:30pm Monday to Friday - BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

Closed on public holidays