Thursday, October 28, 2021
Planning & Environment

Development Types

There are several types of development.  You can read about each type of development below and what regulations relate to that development.

Exempt Development

Low impact development such as some garden sheds, carports, balconies, pergolas and fences could be classed as Exempt Development and would not require Council Approval.

For more information on Exempt Development please visit the NSW Planning Portal or to determine if your development could be exempt, refer to State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Complying Development

Complying Development combines the development approval and construction certificate into one application.  It is a fast-track single approval process for development proposals that meet a set of predetermined criteria.

Providing your development meets the Complying Development Criteria (e.g floor area, setback of boundaries and site coverage) it can be assessed and determined by either Council or a Private Certifier Authority (PCA).

For more information on Complying Development please visit the NSW Planning Portal or to determine if your development could be exempt, refer to State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.


Local Development

Local Development is a more in-depth application covering developments such as subdivision, new homes, swimming pools, sheds, mooring sites etc.

If your Local Development is approved, Council is agreeing that the plans you have submitted are satisfactory.

For more information on Local Development please visit the NSW Planning Portal or Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

Please note that a Construction Certificate is still required before any building works commence.


Integrated Development

Section 4.47 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 states that Integrated Development (not being complying development) that, in order for it to be carried out, requires development consent and an approval from other Government agencies.

Some proposals will require approvals under other legislation. Applicants need to determine whether other appovals are required and should refer to Section 4.47 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act to determine whether the proposal is Integrated Development.

Approvals for integrated development are additional to the consent required from Council. Council, in most cases, cannot issue a development consent in the absence of an approval from other Statutory Authorities. Please discuss the Council requirements with either the Statutory Authorities involved or Council staff.


Designated Development

Some types of development require particular scrutiny because of their nature or potential environmental impact. These Designated Developments are listed in Schedule 3 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000

Designated development includes industries that have a high potential to pollute, large scale developments and developments that are located near sensitive environmental areas, such as wetlands.


State Significant Development

Some developments, due to the size, value or potential impacts are deemed to have state significance and therefore Stage Significant Development consent is required.

The Minister is the consent authority for State Significant Development. 

To view examples of State Significant Development types visit the NSW Planning Portal.

Once it has been determined your development is a State Significant Development you can lodge an application online with the NSW Department of Planning & Environment.

Section 68 Local Government Act Approval

Works that apply to Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 require Council approval before the commencement of works. To view the list of activities that requires this approval visit the Local Government Act 1993.


Contact Us

(03) 5888 5100
(03) 5885 2092
56 Chanter Street, Berrigan, NSW, 2712

Hours of Operation

The Berrigan Shire Council is open:

8am to 5pm Monday to Friday

The Bendigo Bank – Berrigan Agency is open:


1:30pm to 3:30pm Monday to Friday - BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

Closed on public holidays