Food Business Complaints

You can make a complaint about a food business if you:

  • think the food you purchased made you sick such as diarrhoea or vomiting
  • found a foreign object (for example, glass or an insect) in the food you purchased
  • have concerns about poor food preparation, handling, or display practices at a food premise
  • have concerns about the cleanliness of a food premise
  • think a premise is operating without registration from Council
Details we need to investigate your complaint

If you believe the food you purchased from a food business made you sick, we can investigate for you. To help our investigation, we need to know:

  • what food you purchased
  • where and when you purchased the food (date and time)
  • what time you consumed the food (date and time)
  • when the illness started (date and time)
  • whether anyone else who ate the same food experienced similar symptoms
  • what foreign object you found in the food
  • what actions the staff took that were unsafe or unhygienic
  • if you have already spoken with the food business or food handler.

It is also helpful to:

  • record everything you consumed in the 3 days before the onset of symptoms
  • keep any remaining suspect food or packaging in the fridge

Make a complaint

Contact the NSW Food Authority or contact us during business hours on 03 5888 5100.

What happens next
  • We will investigate your complaint.
  • If we need more information, we will contact you.