Food Business Registration

All food businesses trading within the Council area must notify and register with Council prior to operating.

This is a requirement under the Food Act 2003. Penalties apply for failing to notify.

Do I need to notify?

If your business prepares food, manufactures, stores, distributes, or packages food for sale, public consumption or in-kind rewards, then yes, you must register with Council.

Examples of food premises include:

  • fixed retail food premises
  • home-based food businesses
  • mobile food vendors (food van and food trucks)
  • temporary food events (markets or fairs),
  • not-for profit organisations or clubs.
How do I Notify?

Many food businesses also require a building and/or planning approval before they can legally operate.

You may need a building or planning approval for a variety of things such as:

  • building a brand-new food premises
  • changing an existing building into a food premises
  • running a food business from your home
  • getting a liquor licence.

For further information, please contact Council's Building and Planning Team on 03 5888 5100 or email the team at